Travel is one of the things that gets me most excited about life! The anticipation, the adventure & then the reminiscing–all some of my favorite things.
If you know me well, you know I’m quite the planner & list maker. When I travel, there are a few things I can’t live without, and a few helpful things I’ve picked up over the years. As we are headed to Mexico here shortly for my best friends’ wedding, I thought I would share my go-to’s & can’t-live-withouts! So without further ado, here are my 10 travel must haves:
1. Great Book–For me, a vacation just isn’t the same without an amazing read. Also, I tend to get a liiitttle freaked out on flights (no matter how much I fly) so it’s really nice to have something to focus on. Last vaca I read The Violets of March & The Vacationers–highly recommend them both. Another all time favorite of mine is The Language of Flowers.
2. Thieves Essential Oil–I’m not a germaphobe, truly I’m not. BUT why do I always feel so grimy after getting off of the plane?! Aaron & I used to talk about how you just felt like you were catching something sitting in those seats. Over the last year, Thieves has been our saving grace–no exaggeration. I bring the spray to wipe down the seat or tray table on the flight, bring the hand sanitizer because it’s all natural & doesn’t strip your hands like others, & take the oil itself so we can put a drop in our tea to boost our immune systems when we get to our destination. It’s the bees knees! Click here if you want to say peace to those germs too!
3. Light Sweater–I don’t know about you but I get COLD on planes! So, for as long as I can remember, instead of packing my light sweater in my suitcase I bring it on the plane with me. Saves me space in my suitcase (& since I only bring a carryon, even for a three week trip, I like to conserve space anyway I can) and saves me from shivering.
4. Stress Away Roll On– Like I said, I may be a tinyyy bit nervous on planes. . . I have flown since I was six months old & often. Yet, since a couple of really turbulent flights a couple years ago, I can’t quite shake the jitters. I hate feeling stressed while on the way to a vacation–all tense & panicky. Since finding the Stress Away Roll On, I have been forever grateful. I roll the soothing scent of ‘paradise’–lavender, lime, vanilla + more–on my wrists + behind my ears & I instantly feel better. Now, when I catch the scent, it even smells like an airplane to me. Again, another lifesaver! (Click here for your own)
5. Coconut Oil– YES! My cure all. Need chapstick? Perfect. Tanning oil or Suncreen? Gotcha. Lotion when you get out of the shower? Check. Something to soothe a sunburn? Yep, just add lavender. The door on your hotel is creaky? Covered there too. (Just kidding, that’s never happened on vacation but it would do the trick if it did!) Coconut Oil is ahhhmazing. I get mine from Costco since you can get organic, virgin coconut oil.
6. Refillable Perfume Bottle– My dear friend & avid traveler Mary Ann gifted this little gadget to me & it is so smart! We all want to smell lovely for dinner after a long day at the beach but who wants to bring a whole bottle of perfume?! Not I. So, this little guy allows you to fill it with whatever scent you’re feelin’ at the moment–currently mine’s filled with Pinot from Commodity Goods–and after you use that, swap the scent! Oh, & it’s carryon approved. Pure gold.
Here’s the one I have in a different color. I love it in the gold but they have all colors!
7. Genius Pack–Already explained that I’m a planner & list maker. . . So when I found Genius Pack I instantly thought SCORE! This luggage really is genius with its compartments, separate spot for laundry & a packing list printed right on the front–super helpful for last minute packing. (Hi, hello! *waving hand* Late night packing the night before every time.)
8. Go Toobs– Years ago someone showed me these small flexible containers for hair product while traveling. Now I don’t use them for hair stuff but instead, for things like natural sunscreen or coconut oil! Seriously so helpful when you need to transport things in your carryon! & also perfect for the beach.
9. Headphones–I love to zone out while on the plane (it’s more soothing) & gives me the opportunity to really engage with my book. I take my Frends over the ear ones because they fit better than my earbuds!
10. Mobile Charger–Recently, Aaron brought home one of these nifty things (after noticing my phone was always dead) & I was so jazzed. I often forget where my cell is, leaving it downstairs on the counter, or forget to plug it in. When on vacation, especially if you’re with a group, you don’t want to be the one always asking for a charger or not reachable. While one vacation, I try to stay as farrrr away from my phone as possible (besides for photos) but it’s still nice to have this for backup situations! Here’s something like the one I have.
Oh, & a camera, a lovely pair of sunnies + a great swimsuit are assumed on this list ; )
These are just some things I’ve gotta have on hand while traveling! What are the things you can’t travel without?! I want to hear & add them to my travel routine!
P.s. MEXICO! Ahhh, I can’t wait!